Tuesday 25 March 2014

Canada Day

Today, the group experienced many memorial sites. The sites we visited were Beaumont-Hamel, Thiepval, and of course Vimy Ridge. Beaumont-Hamel was mezmorizing. Seeing the preserved battlefields left me in shock, tugged at my heart strings and left me emotionally touched. Thiepval left me with a personal connection. My great uncle, James Henry Corah, lay dead among the thousands of British soldiers who fought at the Battle of the Somme. Vimy Ridge was by far the most interesting site we visited today. It was incredible that we all got to witness the preserved battlefields and learn more about the battle in detail on site rather than in a textbook or in a classroom. The entire class witnessed the remains of our nation's defining moment and it's something that we will remember for the rest of our lives. 

- Paul Corah

No comments:

Post a Comment